Position: Assistant Kitchen Manager at IFL Market
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Salary Range: $45,000 – $52,000 Salary
Position Summary: You are a representative of NĀTIFS and you will always work towards our mission of promoting Indigenous foodways education and facilitating Indigenous food access; along with providing an impactful experience in the IFL Market. As the Assistant Kitchen Manager, you will assist the Market Manager by overseeing and supporting day to day culinary operations of the market by leading our Spirit Kitchen and supporting culinary staff.
- Oversee and support daily operations
- Establish and oversee prep list duties; prepare food to be cooked by washing, peeling, cutting, etc.
- Prepare on demand cafe menu items according to SOPs + recipes
- Ensure ready to eat inventory is sufficient to meet daily demand
- Ensure team adherence to food storage, handling, and workplace safety guidelines and procedures
- Maintain an optimal and safe workspace
- Address and communicate any outstanding quality control, maintenance, procedural, inventory, operational, and/ or safety concerns to Market and Culinary Leadership
- Assist with continued menu development by recommending development ideas and amendments to existing culinary offering
- Help to Maintain optimal culinary staffing structure
- Assist with hiring, promotion, and training of market culinary team
- Ensure adherence to inventory control procedures in order to mitigate waste and inventory variances
- Lead by example to maintain a welcoming and inspiring environment for market guests and team members
- Work collaboratively to prevent service issues from happening in the first place and react quickly to issues that do arise by taking reasonable action to make the moment right
- Share ways that guests can further support NATIFS’ work
- Stay up-to-date with product knowledge, organizational information, new launches, and campaigns and relay that information to appropriate parties
- Time management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Take a collaborative approach to leadership
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
Engagement with NATIFS’ mission:
- Lead by example.
- Practice Indigenous values identified as NATIFS workplace cultural expectations.
- Represent NATIFS and reflect values in community.
- Willingly step up as requested.
- Generate new ideas.
- Work on strategies, activities and funding.
- Engage with the board as appropriate.
- Attend and participate in events and meetings.
- Communicate internally in a timely manner.
- Employer pays 100% of health insurance premium, with additional employer contribution to Health Savings Account
- Employee contribution to 403(b) at 1% or more of salary is matched with 3% of salary employer contribution
- Four weeks of paid time off + 11 paid holidays per year
NATIFS will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please reach out to HR@natifs.org for additional information. Additional ADA notice of requirements:
- Periods of sitting and standing
- May endure prolonged periods of computer use
- Written and verbal communication ability
- Scan, handle and move material efficiently and safely, including lifting or moving up to 40 pounds
- Flexible work schedule (e.g., occasional nights, weekends, and holidays) and regular attendance necessary
- Reasonable accommodations can be made as needed
*English speaking, conversational Spanish preferred, with knowledge of Indigenous language value
To Apply or Inquire for Further Information
please send the following materials to HR@natifs.org, with the subject line as follows: AKM_(last name)_(first name):
- One-page cover letter
- Resume or CV
- In your cover letter, please mention any experience living in or working in Native communities, and any other experience you believe makes you a successful candidate for this position.
You may also choose to come into the Indigenous Food Lab at the Midtown Global Market to complete a paper application.
NATIFS is committed to the principle of equity. We actively encourage women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals to apply for this position and all positions at NATIFS.
NATIFS is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military status, or any other characteristic as established by law.